Tuesday, June 1, 2010

For the Least of These

Matthew 25:40
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me

What were they thinking? This building has approximately 6,000 seats. This church has roughly 8,000 members. And I’m just guessing that there are 5,000 visiting pastors and other ministry leaders. What could they possibly be thinking by sending forty busses out into the inner city? And on top of all that they rented forty more busses.

This is a huge event. I know they could have planned better. They know how many regular members they have and they have a reasonable head count of the number of visitors. All I want is a seat for my family and me. Let’s get real they know how many to expect. Why would you possibly think it was a brilliant idea to send out all those busses? Now where would everyone possibly sit or even stand. The church is only so BIG!

Those were my thoughts going through my head on a Tuesday night of pastor’s school. It was a huge night. There was going to be an illustrated sermon and I wanted to be comfortable.

When my family finally found seats, I moved into mine somewhat begrudgedly, because I wanted to be comfortable. I could not believe that the church would knowingly bus all these extra people, when there were not enough seats for those who had registered and paid for this conference.

Once worship began I felt better. Okay God it’s You and me touch me. I know You are here God and can feel Your presence. That is until the guy next to me stepped on my foot. Then the only thing I felt was the guy next to me. At that point I felt crowded again. Once again side tracked and preoccupied with the fact that it could have been planned better.

As I watched the illustrated sermon tears weld up in my heart and eyes as I remembered what God had done for me. And then the senior pastor made the altar call. I had never seen anything like what was happening around me. People stood up and ran like a stampede of buffalo to the altar. Crying wanting God to do for them what He had done for me so long ago. And that is when God met me.

Not the kind loving God who gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you come into His presence. But Daddy God with a scolding and reality check. He said very quietly and sternly “You see Mikki, it’s not about you. It’s not about your comfort. It’s about them, and it is THEIR turn to meet Me.”

As I looked up I understood. The equivalent to the entire population of my hometown had gone to the altar to receive Christ as their Savior. Those 80 plus busses were filled with lost souls who had a divine appointment to meet God that evening. They were supposed to be there. That was their predetermined spot on God’s time line to except or deny Him. That was my predetermined spot on God’s time line to be called on the carpet for being the selfish little brat I really am.

God came down and met me that night. Not the way I wanted or ever expected. But in a way God knew I needed.

God said to me “You pampered, prissy little pastor’s wife. Whatever you do for the least of these you do for me. All I’m asking of you is a little discomfort, but all you were concerned with was your comfort. I love you, but you already know me. Tonight was not about our relationship, it is already established. It is about them and My concern is for their souls. So get off you high horse and put away your fancy shoes. Tonight we are going down into the depths and fighting for souls. It might get a little dirty and I know you will be uncomfortable. It’s okay, because I am fighting beside you. I will provide all you need to fight.”

So once I picked my now inch high self up off the floor and began to pray and worship, I had a whole new attitude. And I thanked God for people who heard His voice and followed. I thanked Him for not always being warm and fuzzy, but always real. I cried for the lost in my hometown, I had witnessed the equivalent of its population being saved.

In God’s sanctuary there is room for everyone. We will all have a seat. But until then we may have to step out of where we are comfortable. It may be as simple as giving up our seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment