Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A World of Pure Imagination

Psalm 84:1-4
1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
O LORD Almighty!
2 My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.
Selah

What is the name written on your birth certificate? Have you ever been in love? What is your favorite color? If you could be a crayon what color would you be? These are all questions that have been sent to me over and over again in a wonderful get to know your friends E-mail questionnaire. My favorite question is “If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?” This question really got me to think. I don’t really care what color crayon I would be, but I do care about where I am. The first few times my answer was a simple “In Brad’s arms on the beach.” I would type in my response and go on to the next question, something really important that inquiring minds needed to know, “Chocolate or Vanilla?”

Have you ever had one of those days? They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but if there were that question would certainly qualify. You would be lying to yourself if you denied that some days you just want to crawl back into bed and pull the covers over your head. Sometimes it is not the entire day, but specific moments when you just need to take a break from reality and let your mind go to a secret place. The only people in this place are those you allow into your daydream. You go in your mind to “A World of Pure Imagination.” That is everyone’s favorite place to be right now.

I recently set out on a journey of imagination; looking both into my own secret hideaway along with the dreams of people close to me, willing to share. So many of the places were the same, sand, sun, warm breeze, and a personal attendant to be at ones beck and call to fulfill every desire.

I had the opportunity to fulfill my imagination destination by going on a cruise. I knew no one but my husband. We splashed in the ocean, let the sand squish between our toes, and had attendants who brought us anything we could ever think to require at any time, day or night. The breezes were warm like the breath of God. When God blew the palm trees it was as if a choir of raindrops was singing while the waves stroke the shore keeping a continuous beat. But most amazing was the smell. There was none. It was as pure as if I was imagining the whole experience.

It was there that I realized that although I loved this hideaway, it would never be the same. God gave me the opportunity to travel into my imagination and let it be a reality in my life. Much to my surprise, I would take the reality over the dream any time it is offered.

Through this journey I had much time to reflect and talk to God. I came to the consciousness that it is not so much were I go, but where I always am. We as Christians have the absolute gift of being in Gods presence at all times. We can escape into His Heart and He will hide us in a secret place; where we are always safe from evil, and a bad day.

We never have to leave God’s presence. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Jesus Christ.” If we are in continuous prayer we will be in constant fellowship with God, always in His presence, dwelling in Him and Him in us.

To answer the questions above, my birth certificate says Michelle Marie Gengler. My favorite color is purple or sage green. I have been in love and still am, this is why I like Brad’s arms around me. I would be a red crayon, because red is bold and daring. I usually chose vanilla, because you can always add another flavor. Last but certainly not least, my favorite place to be is in the presence of God, there is no greater joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment